How to Set Up Thunderbird to Send and Receive Email
These instructions will guide you through setting up Thunderbird, as well as SeaMonkey and Netscape 7, which are very similar.
1. Open Thunderbird. If it is the first time you have used Thunderbird, it will automatically lead you through an Import Wizard and and Account Wizard menu. Otherwise, go to Tools > Account Settings (Windows/Mac) or Edit > Account Settings (Linux), and click “Add Account”.
2. From the Account Wizard menu, choose Email account as the type of account you would like to set up, and click Next.
3. In the Your Name field, type your name as you wish it to appear.
4. In the Email Address field, type your full email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Click the Next button.
6. Select POP.
7. In the Incoming Server field, type: pop.gn.apc.org
8. Only tick Use Global Inbox if you have only one email address.
9. In the Outgoing Server field, type smtp.gn.apc.org
(Note: You can possibly use another provider for your outgoing mail server, but it is highly recommended that you use GreenNet’s outgoing mail server to send messages to avoid most common problems)
10. In the Incoming User Name field, type the username we have provided, usually the part of your email address that comes before the @ sign (e.g., "user", if your address is "email@example.com"). The Outgoing User Name should be the same.
11. Click the Next button.
12. Type in a name for your new email account (is used for display only, to distinguish this account from any other email accounts you may have).
13. Click the Next button.
14. Verify all your settings. Untick “Download messages now” if you want your existing messages to remain on the server.
15. Click the Finish button.
16. Click on your new account on the left hand side of Account settings to “fine-tune” your settings. If you click on Outgoing Server and Edit, Use name and password should be ticked and set to your username, and for extra security tick “TLS”.
17. Click the OK button.
Please note that information is for informational purposes only, and is provided as a courtesy to GreenNet users. If you have any further questions or problems, please contact GreenNet on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7065 0942, or the Mozilla forums.