St Mary's Secret Garden is a pocket jewel of a garden based in Haggerston. For over 20 years it has been enabling some of the most disabled and disadvantaged people in our community to experience the positive benefits and impacts that horticulture and being with nature can bring.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our committed team of staff and volunteers to provide financial support to all aspects of life at St Mary’s Secret Garden.
The Finance Officer has an important role in supporting our management committee, particularly our Treasurer. The post may be offered on an employed or self-employed basis, with a month’s notice either side.
There is a 3 months probation period.
- At least 2 year’s experience working in a busy office environment or as an independent financial contractor,
- Experience of financial management and records systems, preferably including use of QuickBooks accounting software,
- Good standard of education to at least GCSE level, with good literacy and numeracy skills, Payroll and pensions administration (highly desirable though not essential),
- Experience of general office administration and/or fundraising (desirable but not essential).
- Numeracy, including the ability to handle cash and analyse data
- Bookkeeping and financial administration
- Good IT skills including word processing, strong spreadsheet skills and data management
- The ability to work methodically on own initiative, to multi-task and to manage competing priorities
- A genuine interest in the Garden’s objectives including education, social inclusion, horticulture and sustainable practices
- Ability to work within an equal opportunities framework
- Ability to work positively as part of a team and to work with volunteers where necessary
- Ability to explain/present financial information, e.g. to the Management Committee