Fairtrade International is the international non-profit, multi-stakeholder organisation that owns the FAIRTRADE Mark, is responsible for the strategic direction of Fairtrade, sets Fairtrade standards, undertakes the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, and supports producers through working in close collaboration with the three Producer Networks. Its members include the three Producer Networks (Africa, Asia and Latin America), and 19 National Fairtrade Organizations (NFOs) and  Marketing organisations who build the market. Fairtrade International also wholly owns an independent certification body, FLO CERT.
We are looking for a dynamic CEO to offer strategic leadership across the movement to deliver Fairtrade’s mission and lead the implementation of the ambitious new Fairtrade global strategy for 2016- 2020.
Reporting to the Board, the CEO will directly lead the newly-established Global Leadership Team, which he/she will put in place, as well as work in close collaboration with the Chief Executives of the Producer Networks and National Fairtrade Organisations. The CEO will have ultimate responsibility for the Central Office in Bonn, Germany although day-to-day management will be the responsibility of the COO.
The CEO will work to grow Fairtrade’s influence within the realm of sustainable development and trade, providing vision and thought leadership. In partnership with Fairtrade members, producers, companies, civil society, policy makers and donors, the CEO will drive high standards of quality across all areas of Fairtrade’s work, leading to increased impact on poverty reduction and fairer trading conditions.
Applications, in the form of a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae, should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com, citing Chief Executive Officer in the subject field.
The deadline for completed applications is 16 August 2016
The candidate must subscribe to the core values of Fairtrade, be able to communicate these and be driven by its mission.
The candidate should have proven experience in enabling a multi-stakeholder organization to deliver outstanding results, and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a mission-driven, multi-cultural team.
With strong communication skills, the candidate will be able to listen to, and communicate with, a broad range of people, in particular farmers and workers in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years of senior management and leadership experience, including direct experience of development work, ideally with a global non-profit organization and preferably in the Global South.
Additional requirements are:
• Leadership and Organization – exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in developing organizations; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders while yourself providing direction when needed, developing a team so as to put people in a position to succeed. As well as having direct management experience, you will also have the skills to lead a global movement.
• Change management – solid experience of leading change management programmes, with the ability to influence and lead people and organisations across a wide network and over whom you have no direct line management
• Collaboration – influencing and collaborating to build consensus to shape strategic and policy direction and decisions of Fairtrade. You possess the charisma to persuade member organizations and staff globally to implement necessary changes,
• Results Oriented – a proven track record for achieving ambitious goals with a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to make good decisions based on analysis, experience and judgement.
• General Management - a broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
• Solid educational background - advanced degree in international relations, development, public policy or an MBA. The candidate will need to show that he/she has an understanding of global trade and of international development
Professional Skill Requirements:
• Proven track record in senior management within complex, international and results-based organizations, preferably within a network environment
• Demonstrated ability to drive implementation of strategic orientations;
• CEO experience or the equivalent level of responsibility
• Experience of working with a Board
• Experience in trade and international development are distinct advantages
• Languages: Fluency in English, which is the daily language of Fairtrade International. Spanish and/ or French are highly desirable. German an advantage.
• Innovative, positive and proactive personality
• Good understanding of and commitment to the work of Fairtrade;
• Ability to inspire visionary leadership and drive collaboration in a multi-stakeholder environment;
• Demonstrable ability to motivate others